Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The rejection clusterfudge.

That actually sounds way more delicious than what I meant.  It is not a gooey chocolatey batch of goodness that just 'wasn't quite right' (which, in my world doesn't even exist)... Nope!  Lucky you... talkin bout when you totally put yourself out there... are completely honest about who you are, your situation and actually even feel great about telling it... and then... pfffft.  Nothing.  Nada.  Or just a flat out NO, you suck and you seem to be some sort of curse.  YAY REJECTION!


"We're going in a different direction."


"We have reviewed your resume and have decided to pursue other candidates for this position." - love, Ikea (from my actual rejection letter, ok, except the love part)


"I'm sorry, Ma'am, but this card doesn't seem to be working"


"It's not you, it's me"


Fortunately, I didn't hear any of these this past Saturday night (HEY-O :) but I digress.  But those top three quotes I have experienced in the past five days.  I'm not gonna lie - the Ikea one threw me for a crappy loop.  REALLY?!?!  IKEA doesn't want me?!?!  Yea, that hurt.  My brain went on it's own little tailspin.  This is when the rejection fairy starts telling you how much you suck and you'll never get anything... and then, if you are lucky enough, you have friends come around and help you kick that stupid fairy's ass and focus. 


I do think rejection happens for a reason.  At least, that's what keeps me from going COMPLETELY mental.  My feelings are that rejection happens because, simply, it's just not the right fit.  I know, I know... cliches again, but what else you got?  Even freakin Halle Berry gets rejected.  Her husband cheated on her, for crying out loud.  It just happens.  And you can't control it or even know why it happens.  But where you have control over it is how you react to it.


As hard as it is (and it's REALLY effing hard), every day I try and stay positive.  Every day I wake up and think today could be the day I get the "we DO want you, you really are an asset and we were totally kidding about that curse thing" call.  It doesn't always work, and there are going to be plenty of days that you feel like you are in the ocean right at the breakers and you just keep getting pounded by one wave after another after another.  The only thing you can do is get right back up, stand up tall and hope for a little smooth sailing.  Everything is temporary - even rejection.





4 comments:

  1. Well said Tricky! F**k Ikea. All they do is torture you with their allen wrenches and their wierd chocolate (well, that is delicious but anyway). You are amazing and are clearly on some sort of (long and very winding) journey that is going to lead to something AH-MA-Zing (yes, 2 time in 2 days I have used that phrase). Just saw this post on my FB page- "You don't realize how strong you are, until being strong is the only thing you can do to keep yourself together" love you XOXO your #1 Fans, The Engels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of your blog, Carrie. And I love your writing, you should post more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, SHUT MY MOUTH! Wow, guys, THANK YOU... and I love that quote! Holy crap, if that ain't the truth. I will be happy keep posting... believe me, I've got plenty of this topic all up in this noodle :)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. tricky- your many fans want more content

    ReplyDelete