Friday, January 7, 2011

Things are lookin up for ol' Gil...

You know, I had this whole thing written.  It had facts, percentages and when I read it it felt like I was sucking on saw dust.  I mean, it's great that December had one of this biggest one month drops in unemployment since 1998.  But facts and percentages don't mean a big pile of doody if you are still unemployed.

However, a wonderful fact is that 2010 is flippin OVER.  I can't even begin to describe the elation of this New Year's Eve simply because I was waving buh-bye to a super crappy year.  I have a feeling I'm not the only one, either.

The job hunting is actually looking up as well.  As I pour through the numerous emails, newsletters, job listings and job boards I get everyday, I have noticed that there really are more positions.  Period.  How awesome is that?  Especially for someone like me who has never really had one career... more like a hundred.  I've been lucky enough to really learn from each position that I've had and been able to weigh through what I am good at and what I'm not so good at.

So this year instead of making a bunch of new years resolutions that will just crap out in the next few weeks, I've decided to set small goals for myself.  And none of them started on January 1st.  I really do want to help other people get through the mental drain that is unemployment and work on getting to that ultimate goal of finding a great job and moving on.

---------------------
Here are a few links I have seen recently that may help revive the ol job hunt...

Getting a New Job in 2011: How to Maximize Your Chances

BNet.com is a great site that I check out quite a bit.  They have a ton of advice for getting and keeping a job.

 


7 New Year's Resolutions: Finding a Job in 2011

Vault.com is also a great resource for advice and research.  They have a ton of company profiles listed and great resources on resume and cover letter writing.

---------------------
Hopefully you made it through the holidays relatively unscathed and are ready to hit the ground running for 2011.... cause, really, it HAS to be better than last year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment